Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) eligible clients are able to access dietetic services from DVA registered Dietitians. Dietetic and nutritional services help to manage health through dietary and nutritional support. Optimum Intake are a Department of Veterans Affairs Accredited Provider, ensuring all gold card holders that are referred to our dietitian’s by their GP, are fully covered for all expenses. Personal consultations at our consultation rooms or as a home visit, offer patients the individual attention often required during the initial assessment phase and any follow-up that is required.
If you are concerned about someone who isn’t eating as well as they use to, they may be at risk of weight loss and malnutrition. This can affect their health and quality of life. Dietitian’s are the best profession to make sure that they are getting all the nutrients and energy their body needs.
Things that can affect your food intake:
- Poor appetite
- Swallowing problems
- Reduced food intake
- Decrease in smell and taste
- Unintentional weight loss
- Decrease in muscle strength
- Poor dentition
- Feeling lethargic
- Depression / Dementia
We can help improve someone’s quality of life through food and nutrition. We can offer:
- Meal / snack ideas
- Check fluid intake
- Provide nutritional supplements
- Prevent weight loss
- Prevent & treat malnutrition
Who is eligible?
- If you have a DVA Gold Card – For All Conditions.
- If you have a DVA White Card – For Specific Conditions.
How do I access this service?
- You must be referred to a Dietitian by your GP. They will complete a D904 referral form.
- Do I need to pay for the service?
- No, your Dietitian will bill DVA direct for any treatment provided to you.