At Optimum Intake Dietitians, we understand the impact that gut health has on overall well-being. Our experienced gut health team is here to provide specialized support for patients with various gastrointestinal conditions. In this blog post, we will focus on eosinophilic EoE, a chronic condition affecting the oesophagus. We will explore the common symptoms experienced by EoE patients and how our dietitian can assist in resolving these symptoms for better gut health.
What is EoE?
Eosinophilic oesophagitis is a chronic immune-mediated disorder that leads to inflammation and an increased number of eosinophils in the oesophageal tissue. It is often characterized by the following symptoms:
- Difficulty Swallowing (Dysphagia): Patients with EoE may experience a sensation of food getting stuck or a feeling of constriction while swallowing.
- Persistent Heartburn or Chest Pain: Chronic heartburn or chest pain that does not respond to standard acid reflux medication is a common symptom of EoE.
- Food Impaction: EoE can cause food to become stuck in the oesophagus, leading to discomfort, pain, and difficulty in swallowing.
- Reflux Symptoms: Despite treatment for acid reflux, EoE patients may continue to experience reflux symptoms such as regurgitation and a sour taste in the mouth.
- Failure to Thrive and Poor Weight Gain (in children): Children with EoE may have difficulty gaining weight and growing properly due to feeding difficulties and food aversions.
- Vomiting or Regurgitation: Some patients with EoE may experience frequent vomiting or regurgitation of undigested food.
- Abdominal Pain: EoE can be associated with abdominal pain, which may vary in intensity and frequency.
Diagnosis of EoE should always be confirmed by endoscopy and biopsies, which are normally performed by a gastroenterologist. If you are experiencing symptoms such as those listed above and haven’t yet investigate or received a diagnosis, please discuss this with your GP.
How can a dietitian help me or a loved on living with EoE?
Dietitians play a vital role in managing EoE and improving the quality of life for patients. Optimum Intake Dietitians offers specialized support through the following ways:
- Personalized Dietary Assessment: Our dietitians conduct a thorough assessment of client’s dietary history, preferences, and specific triggers. By identifying trigger foods, we can work with clients to alleviate symptoms and prevent potential flare-ups.
- Elimination Diet Guidance: Our dietitian will guide clients through evidence-based elimination diets alongside specialist guidance. Our dietitians will also support the liberalisation of diet following best practice guidelines and protocols.
- Nutritional Optimization: EoE and dietary limitations can make it challenging for clients to consume a balanced diet. Our dietitian will ensure clients receive the necessary nutrients by recommending alternative food choices, meal ideas and support social eating. Our dietitians will recommend supplements where necessary to fill nutritional gaps. This personalized approach aims to prevent nutritional deficiencies, support overall health and improve quality of life.
- Ongoing Monitoring and Support: Optimum Intake Dietitians are committed to providing monitoring and support to clients to see them through their journey and achieve their personal goals. Regular follow-up appointments will be recommended to ensure your patient feels supported and empowered to make change.
By working closely with your medical team, our team at Optimum Intake Dietitians aim to improve the quality of life for individuals with EoE, providing relief from symptoms and promoting better gut health.
Take the First Step Towards Relief
If you or someone you know is living with EoE, our experienced dietitians are here to assist you in managing your condition effectively and improving your overall health. To schedule an appointment or learn more about our Gut Health services contact us today.